Monday, May 31, 2010

004 These Hands

If someone were to ask me what my favorite body part is, I would say these hands of mine. While on vacation in Oahu with my family, we had the wonderful opportunity to witness several hula kahiko dances. Even though it was my 4th stay on the island, the dancing never gets old. A big part of the dance is that it tells a story through the subtle movements of the hands. The hands tell the story (not the hips! haha).



I'm looking at my hands right now. My fingers are rather long and knobby looking. Knuckles protrude a little too much and my palms have a tendency to get a little swampy. They're not perfect and I am proud of the things they have done and at the same time, wish they were capable of undoing some of the not-so-proud things I've done.

What story would my hands tell me?

When hands were fashioned, I think they were meant to do things like tickling, holding each other's hands, helping a brother up on his feet, etc. Isn't also interesting how much destruction these hands are capable of too? Like stealing, killing, abusing, etc. There's so much these hands can do! Grinding drugs with a mortar and pestle, drilling teeth, playing the guitar, doing "air quotes", picking our noses, and among other things.

I like these hands of mine.

1 comment:

Angelina said...

I love your hands. They've created such masterpieces, such beautiful pieces of work.

I appreciate not only your hands, but your heart. Your heart is like a mole (6.022 x 10^23), it's way to big to ever count in this lifetime. <3