Sunday, March 06, 2011

056

As of today, I have completed 76 hours of my IPPEs. I can't believe I have been interning for that long. Gregg still manages to make me feel like an imbecile but I had a good day at the pharmacy.

Answering patient questions and making recommendations are my favorite things to do in the pharmacy. Today, a mom and her son came in asking for a recommendation about itch cream. Apparently, the son had an awful rash in the crease of his arm from scratching it so often. The son refused to see a doctor and had been using neosporin to help with the itching but to no avail, the rash had gotten progressively worse. My initial thought was, "Why the hell are you using neosporin for a rash?" I directed them to the anti-itch cream and made some recommendations but made it a point to go see his doctor. Then he asked me if we carried witch hazel, which is normally used as an astringent for oozing rashes. He apparently heard from some magazine that it's good to treat baggy eyes. I stared at this self-conscious high school boy and then I stared at his prominent eye bags. I don't remember Bandy teaching us anything about baggy eyes but I recommended him to gently rub a soft toothbrush around his under-eyes to stimulate blood flow around his eyes to reduce the appearance of the bags and then I politely pointed him towards the direction of the cosmetics aisle to look for a concealer if he was really that concerned. Oh boys will be boys...

I also know what a yeast infection looks like now. After reconstituting an erythromycin cream for a patient, I asked Gregg to help me make those fancy swirls in the cream to make it look "pharmaceutically elegant" as he likes to put it and he bluntly tells me, "No matter what you do to that cream, it's still going to look like a yeast infection". I think I barfed in my mouth a little. I replied back, "I don't know what a yeast infection looks like." He responds by telling me that I'm a good girl and to be wary when I meet a dirty boy, lawlz. After looking at the cream, in my opinion, a yeast infection looks like cottage cheese.

1 comment:

Jasmine K. said...

LOLOL and omg gross. Miss you. <3