Sunday, August 22, 2010

020 jesus walks

Often times while I'm driving and listening to the radio, I flip stations to hear my options. Wanting to gauge my ears out with a large pitchfork after hearing Katy Perry's "California Gurls" play on three different stations at the same time, I decided to pop in Kanye West's The College Dropout. This album is pure gold. I'm glad my opinion of hip-hop and rap has changed within the past year and a half. I'm ashamed to admit that I stereotyped this type of music with ghetto-Blacks only interested in sex, money, and power. Granted, there's a lot of music out there like that but I'm glad albums like The College Dropout exist to give me hope and insight on the world's issues. One of my favorite songs on the album is "Jesus Walks" mainly because Mr. West skillfully addresses the issue of why the media shies away from the subject of faith, but readily embraces sex, violence, etc.

I ended up buying his first three albums and though 808s & Heartbreak was alright and I have to listen to "Power" a couple more times to absorb what he's trying to say, I got to admit that I miss the old Kanye of his College Dropout days. But I'm looking forward to what he has to say and offer. Thanks to those who opened my eyes to this often misunderstood, poetic world.

No comments: