Tuesday, August 31, 2010

023 sweat

Sweat is fluid produced by sweat glands in our skin that percolates out of our pores. I've always wanted to use "percolate" in an entry and I'm not sure if I used it in the right context but I'll use the excuse that I'm no English major.

I've been doing the Insanity workout with some friends of mine and first 10 minutes into it, I'm pouring a storm. I guess genetics placed upon me overactive sweat glands. Sean T knows how to work you hard. In his words, "Get fit or GET OUT". Super encouraging I know.

Last week during our pharmacy orientation, my roommate was describing an awful experience she had with one of the transfer students in our incoming class. We'll call him Joe. Joe was talking, quite audibly, with his fellow transfers about our incoming class's overall GPA. He claimed that the rather low number was due to the fact that the pre-pharms didn't have to work at all to get into pharmacy school and that it was unfair of the advantage they had over other non-pre-pharms. After this, my roommate was paired up with him for an exercise and Joe asked her where she went for undergrad to which she replied, "Pacific" and Joe ignored her for the rest of the exercise.

I was so angry after hearing her story. I thought to myself, "How dare he judge us even before meeting us!" I'm at fault for having pre-conceived notions about people as well, but this guy's actions afterwards were just plain RUDE. I can attest that, maybe not for all but for most, pre-pharmacy students at Pacific work their ass off to get into the Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy. We have shed blood, tears, and sweat to get this far and for someone to dismiss our labor as diminutive, well I have a pretty finger for you buddy.

So I've never pointed the middle finger at anyone, but to think it means I'm pretty mad. Despite his less than friendly demeanor towards my kind, I extended grace to him. While standing in line for the Rite-Aid BBQ, sweating in my business attire under the cruel Stockton sun, Joe was standing right behind me, talking about going to Barnes and Noble to study. I turned around and offered that he should try studying at the Health Science library or the main campus library so he could save gas. He said thanks and I resumed my place in line feeling less mad and filled with more love, but still sweaty.

3 comments:

preet said...

You are a better person than me for forgiving so easily. sadness. But good job. Let's forgive, but not forget. I like that.

Antoinette said...

Lol, that's Deguire talking isn't it? :P

mlugar said...

Way to be the bigger person Antoinette!
And don't listen to anything that dumb ass has to say. True, the transfers students need higher GPA's, but I know how hard you and everyone else worked for your spots.
Feel proud my dear, you deserve to be where you are!