Sunday, January 30, 2011

051 my baptism

Matthew 3:13-16

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now; for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he consented. And when Jesus was baptized, he went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting on him; and lo, a voice from heaven, saying, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."

Today is my second birthday because I made the choice to be baptized at my church in Stockton. The first church that I went to when I started college. The first church where I didn't have to ask for the approval of my parents if I could attend. My freshman small group leaders were there to immerse me in the waters. I can't even articulate the immense joy that I felt as I was raised out of the waters. My best friend came up the night before to spend time with me for a few short hours. My parents and friends who live almost 2 hours away, woke up early to drive all the way to Stockton to come and celebrate with me. My friend, who doesn't even believe in God came. People even told me the great extent at what they had to do so they could come and see. I was asked to share a brief testimony and why I chose to be baptized. I definitely was crying and still crying as I entered the waters. When did I become such a cry baby? haha I'm incredibly blessed to be surrounded by friends and family like these but even more blessed to have a Creator who would look upon me and tell me that He is well pleased.

No comments: